Small business owners have an endless to-do list to keep their business running smoothly. So why invest resources into trademark protection? Simply put, trademark registration protects your most valuable asset: Your Brand. Specifically, federal trademark registration with the USPTO gives your brand identifiers the strongest protection available from being used by others. This is the same protection that the most recognizable companies in world use to safeguard their brand identifiers. Today, with the use of technology and the availability of Accessible Legal Counsel, trademark registration is available to any entity, regardless of size and capital. Your business does not need a marketing department or in-house legal counsel to register your trademark. All you need is a desire to protect and grow your brand.
· Being able to put the circle R symbol next to the name of your products or services gives your brand legitimacy in the marketplace. It looks cool to the consumer and lets the public know that your brand and the quality of your business is a priority. Lastly, it lets potential infringers know that you take brand protection seriously and that any infringement or similar use will result in legal action.
· Properly registered marks are searchable in the USPTO’s online database, known as TESS. This database is usually the first place most businesses, with or without legal counsel, will search when determining the availability of a prospective mark. Simply appearing in the USPTO database acts as a strong deterrent to competitors seeking to register a similar brand identifier.
· Sending a cease-and-desist letter referencing a mark registered with the USPTO carries a stronger message than one without USPTO registration. Owners of properly registered marks have standing in U.S. District Court to seek injunctions and damages against infringers.
· A registered trademark is a tangible asset that your business can be valued by. It is an asset that can be assigned or licensed or used as collateral. It is an asset that can be sold for a dollar amount with your business. When mergers and acquisitions occur, many times the main asset being transferred is intellectual property.
· Last but certainly not least – trademark registration with the USPTO gives small business owners peace of mind that they have done everything possible to legally protect their brand.
Feel free to Contact Alex to discuss the post or to get started on your trademark project.