This quick post discusses some tips on using your registered trademark.
· Document Use – Keep records documenting dates of creation, public launch, and first sale of goods or services using the trademark.
· Use Proper Symbols – The circle-R symbol should be used with a registered mark upon receipt of the registration certificate. The symbol is generally placed in the upper right corner.
· Monitor for Infringers – Consistent monitoring of your brand has great value. Having documentation of zealous pursuit of infringers demonstrates the strength of your brand and can be used as evidence in future trademark disputes.
· Address Possible Infringement – Document any infringement and contact an informed attorney as soon as possible. Many infringement matters can be resolved without litigation but it is important to act promptly.
· Renew Registration – Trademark protection can last forever if the mark remains in use and is renewed properly. Renewals are due every 10 years after the original registration certificate was issued. Owner are advised, but not required, to file a declaration of incontestability after 5 years of use.
Contact Alex if you have any questions about the post.